Every now and then dentists are asked plenty of questions concerning how to whiten teeth, the best teeth whitening method, and what is the best way to whiten teeth at home naturally and safely without harming enamel or losing their normal luster.
Such questions always arise before and after professional dental whitening sessions at the dental office.
What is teeth whitening?
The natural color of our dentition normally darkens as we get older and more and more surface stains begin to accumulate.
These could be a result of us consuming colored foods and highly acidic beverages, not to mention tobacco usage.
Teeth whitening refers to both professional and home remedies used to whiten teeth and make them several shades lighter.
To determine how to whiten teeth one should know what is causing their discoloration in the first place, not to mention understand the difference between Intrinsic and extrinsic stains.
Based on that understanding, one can find the best teeth whitening method that suits his/her needs.
According to the ADA, the term “whitening” refers to any process that will make teeth appear whiter. having whiter smile can be achieved in two ways.
A product can bleach the tooth, which means that it actually changes the natural color shades of the teeth.
Bleaching products contain peroxides that help remove both deep (intrinsic) and surface (extrinsic) stains. On the other hand, non-bleaching whitening products contain agents that work by physical or chemical action to help remove surface (extrinsic) stains only.
Check out: Top Skin Care Collection You’ll Love!
Maintaining your teeth can do magic to your smile and accordingly, your self confidence.
Whitening your smile from time to time is a must but finding the time for a dental visit isn’t always that feasible.
Luckily, you don’t need to worry, as mother nature supplied us with simple, cheap, and easy-to-get ingredients that can help make your pearly whites a little brighter safely and naturally at the comfort of your own house.
You do not need to do anything specific other than brushing your teeth before applying any of the following home remedies.
These simple whitening remedies can also help you maintain your bright smile after paying so much for professional dental bleaching.
Again, keep in mind that the type of stains you have will determine the best way to whiten teeth at home.
Simple 7 DIY remedies To Whiten Teeth
We’ve tried and tested a range of home remedies that will help you transform your smile without breaking the bank.
1. Strawberry Paste
Who would have thought that those delicious fruits can help whiten teeth! Strawberries are actually rich in malic acid, which helps with dissolving stains from tea, coffee and red wine.
This recipe only needs 2 ingredients from your kitchen :
- Baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
How it works:
- Mash up two to five strawberries.
- Pop in about two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Add the mixture to a soft tooth brush and rub it on your teeth gently.
- Keep brushing for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and floss to remove any strawberry seeds stuck between your teeth.
Keep in mind that the acid n this paste can cause your enamel to erode if it’s used too often —so don’t use this paste more than twice a week.
2. Banana Peel
Banana peels are rich in potassium, magnesium, and manganese and other important minerals that can be absorbed in dental enamel and as a result whiten teeth. Keep in mind that this method is a very gentle whitening method that will take 2-3 weeks of daily usage before you notice marked results.
How it works:
- Peel a ripe banana and then proceed by rubbing a piece of the inside on your teeth for two minutes.
- Then, let the juices sit on your teeth for 10 minutes.
- Finally, rinse thoroughly and brush your teeth with your regular fluoride toothpaste.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which plays a major role in breaking down dental plaque and tartar, as well as the stains on your enamel. Apple cider vinegar also kills bacteria so it can help you get rid of halitosis or bad breath. You can use it as a rinse in the morning only once a week not to eat away at your enamel.
How it works:
- Pour two table spoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup.
- Swish and gargle with it for 2 minutes.
- Spit the vinegar and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Brush your teeth very gently with your regular fluoride toothpaste.
4. Coconut Oil and Turmeric Paste
First things first, it’s totally normal to feel skeptical about this paste, but it really works!
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and it is very rich in fatty acids that once in contact with your saliva, are broken down into teeth whitening enzymes.
Turmeric as well has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties not to mention that despite it being a yellow powder that has the ability to stain everything, it does have whitening properties.
The baking soda is the abrasive ingredient in this paste so it will help in removing the surface stains.
This recipe only needs 3 ingredients from your kitchen :
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Organic turmeric powder
- Baking soda
How it works:
- In a clean container mix 4 tea spoons of turmeric powder with 3 tea spoons of baking soda.
- Pop in 4 full table spoons of extra virgin coconut oil and keep mixing until you have a homogeneous paste.
- Get yourself a new soft to medium toothbrush.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of the thick mixture on the toothbrush.
- Keep brushing your teeth gently for two minutes.
- Let it sit for 2 more minutes then spit it out.
- Swish with one table spoon of pure coconut oil for 5 minutes (Optional).
- Go back for your regular tooth brush and toothpaste.
- Brush again gently for 2 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water to remove any excess turmeric.
A few things to note:
- Make sure you don’t use this paste more than twice a week as baking soda is a harsh abrasive.
- Keep in mind that the texture of the coconut oil needs to be solid, so if you live in a warm area it’s advisable for you to keep it in the fridge before using it to make the paste.
- Also don’t forget to coat your lips and corners of the mouth with a thin film of coconut oil or petroleum jelly to avoid them getting stained with turmeric.
- Make sure you spit this DIY paste in a tissue and throw it away, as spitting coconut oil directly down the sink may clog it.
Check out: Top Skin Care Collection You’ll Love!
5. Activated Charcoal Paste
Activated charcoal is one of the newest and simplest detox and teeth whitening trends. Activated charcoal has a highly porous surface, and it’s this sponge-like property that allows it to soak up toxins and a variety of chemicals, as well as surface stains from our teeth.
How it works:
- Wet your soft toothbrush and then dip it in some charcoal powder.
- Gently brush your teeth for two minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water until all of the charcoal is gone.
- Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste and you’ll be rewarded with brighter teeth.
Things to keep in mind:
- This remedy will be very messy, so make sure your bathroom is well protected.
- Your teeth and tongue will be totally completely black, which can be a little disturbing to look at, but I assure you it won’t stain your teeth.
- Charcoal is a gentle abrasive but make sure you don’t use this mixture more than twice a week.
6. Orange Peel
Rubbing your teeth with the insides of an orange peel could be the most affordable and gentle way to whiten your teeth naturally at home.
The white part of the orange peel contains d-limonene which is a natural solvent that can help you get rid of stains.
It’s important to note that the orange peels are not as acidic as the fruit itself and hence it will be much more gentle on your enamel.
How it works:
- Peel a large orange and make sure you get enough thickness of the white section when you peel the orange.
- Rub the white part of the orange peel very gently all over your teeth.
- Let the juice sit on your teeth for three to five minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Brush your teeth gently with your regular fluoride toothpaste.
- Repeat this method daily for two to three weeks for marked results.
7. Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is well known for its ability to clean pretty much anything. This powerful abrasive can be used once or twice a week maximum to whiten teeth and keep your pearly whites clean, smooth and shiny.
How this works:
- Mix two teaspoons of baking soda with one teaspoon of water until you have a paste.
- Dip a soft toothbrush into the mixture.
- Brush gently using slow circular motions.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and spit.
To Bleach Or Not To Bleach!
Despite attaining great results after using home remedies like the ones listed above, and having highly polished shiny teeth, some of us may still need much brighter smiles by changing the natural shade of their enamel and removing deeper stains.
Many over the counter products can do that for you and whiten teeth more dramatically.
But keep in mind that it’s always crucial to consult your dentist before using any of them as they may adversely affect your fillings and crowns.
It’s also important to note that Porcelain crowns and composite fillings won’t lighten up.
So changing the color of the teeth around them will result into an uneven smile.
For more dramatic and mind-blowing results you should try peroxides!
Hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide are the main active ingredients in many over-the-counter and professional teeth-whitening products.
Gargling with hydrogen peroxide mouthwash might also make your teeth look brighter for a few hours right after you do it.
One of the best over-the-counter whitening products we came across is Billionaire Teeth Whitening Kit.
Here is how you can maintain good results after using peroxides:
After whitening teeth and having them looking great comes the task of keeping them looking that dazzling.
Following whitening sessions, enamel becomes porous which makes our teeth particularly susceptible to pick up stains. Here are some simple tips to follow for the next 48 hours to avoid stains and keep your smile white and bright.
- Avoid soda and other acidic beverages for a couple of hours to protect your teeth from both discoloration and sensitivity. But if you really carve them then drinking them with a straw will be mandatory.
- Avoid all colored drinks such as tea, coffee, orange juice, dark soda, and red wine.
- Avoid eating all of the following: Beetroots, grapes, tomatoes, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, mustard, soy sauce, dark stews, dark soups, dark chocolate, and dishes spiced with turmeric.
- You can consume egg whites but stay away from egg yolks.
- Avoid smoking by all means as cigarette smoking will stain your teeth.
- Avoid brushing your teeth with colored toothpastes.
- Make sure you don’t gargle with any colored mouthwash, instead use colorless ones.
- Just in case you forgot any of the above tips, swish with water after every meal.
To sum up, simply avoid anything that would stain a white shirt.
We recommend you to use Billionaire Teeth Whitening Kit
Billionaire teeth whitening kit provides everything needed to whiten your teeth in the privacy and comfort of your own home. The teeth whitening kit also contains the highest quality dental-grade ingredients, earning it the trust of thousands of satisfied customers worldwide.
It’s all in the formula
The whitening gel contains the most effective 18% carbamide peroxide. It’s not just a gel; it’s a game-changer.
Billionaire Desensitisation Gel
Everyone wants a billionaire smile but some people’s teeth may have minor sensitivity to the whitening gel which can cause slight discomfort.
To allow everyone to achieve their billionaire smile, the kit provides a desensitising gel to eliminate sensitivity.
Billionaire Mouldable Trays & Case
Create your Billionaire Smile with mouldable trays designed to fit comfortably over your teeth.
Simply, put the mouldable trays in a cup full of boiling hot water and leave them there for a few seconds and they will become malleable and soft enough to take the shape of your teeth.
Slip these over your teeth then relax in style, while science does all the work. Once you are done, store it in its included case.
Billionaire Activating LED Light
The activating light transforms your smile from ordinary to luxurious. Featuring six powerful LED lights, this powerful tool works with the billionaire whitening gel to increase the whitening process.
Use it. Your smile will be up to 12 shades whiter!
Billionaire Teeth Whitening Guide
Obtaining a billionaire smile does not have to be hard – especially when an easy to follow teeth whitening guide is included in your teeth whitening kit.