Nowadays, the growing concern of the hair loss is convincing more and more people to opt for the hair loss treatments as many people are going bald. This is the primary reason why hair transplant surgery is becoming popular, and people are happy to restore their natural hair.
Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure in which are from the back of your scalp are extracted and transplanted to the bald area or recipient area.
The area from which hair is extracted is referred to as ‘Safe Donor Area.’ From the traditional hair transplant techniques FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) or FUE (Follicular Unit Excision) to the modern Bio-FUE and Robotic Hair Transplant, hair transplant surgery can be performed with any of these procedures.
However, it should be kept in mind that a hair transplant is a surgical procedure and one must take care of their health and newly transplanted hair for better results. Also, the results will take time to appear, and one must wait for it.
Hair Growth After Hair Transplant:
A number of questions have been asked by the patients to surgeons like How much time it will take to re-grow my hair after the hair transplant? How my hair would grow after a hair transplant?
Hair transplant procedure involves the transplantation of your hair and hair will grow accordingly to your natural hair growth cycle. The hair growth usually takes place in 3 phases i.e.
- Dormant Stage: This stage lasts up to 4 months, and the transplanted hair will shed away. This shedding phase is referred to as shock loss as some people take the stress.
- Emergent Stage: This is known as the growth stage and will last for 4-8 months. The new hair will gradually appear.
- Maturation Stage: The newly grown hair will continue to grow according to the growth cycle and will thicken with time. This can stay up to 12 months.
So, it is essential to take care of the newly transplanted grafts and follow the proper post-op instructions of the hair transplant surgery as suggested by the hair transplant surgeon.
Following are the simple tips to speed up hair growth after a hair transplant and will help you to prevent the grafts from any damage.
Source: AK Clinics
Tips To Increase Hair Growth After Hair Transplant Surgery:
- The newly hair transplanted area or recipient area must be protected from the UV rays.
- Always treat your scalp gently after hair transplant surgery until your newly transplant grafts shed off completely.
- Shampoo your scalp as suggested by the doctor.
- Avoid direct water pressure on your scalp. Use your hand or let the water fall at an angle. This will not harm the grafts.
- Gently pat your scalp with a soft towel.
- Do not pick or scratch the scabs on your scalp. Let them heal and fall off naturally.
- Limit your strenuous physical activities for at least ten days after the hair transplant surgery.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet rich in antioxidants for hair, foods rich in vitamins or protein.
- Drink plenty of water daily as this will flush out the toxins from your body.
- Ask the doctor for hair growth promoters or therapies if needed to speed up the hair growth process.
With the help of these instructions after hair transplant surgery, you will be able to avoid any serious complications, and your hair growth process will also speed up.
Hair transplant surgeons also recommend few hair growth promoters and hair growth therapies after the hair transplant surgery. If your scalp is weak or your hair growth cycle is altered, these will help in faster hair growth.
Minoxidil: Minoxidil is a potent vasodilator and acts as a hair growth promoter. Minoxidil after the hair transplant is the only FDA approved drug for hair growth.
It dilates the blood vessels which results in the increase in oxygen, blood and nutrient supply to the scalp. Scalp cells get nourished which leads to faster hair growth.
Minoxidil is available commercially with the trade name of Rogaine for men and Regaine for women.
Finasteride: Finasteride is a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor which stops the conversion of hormone testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by blocking the activity of 5 alpha-reductase enzyme.
DHT is one of the major causes of hair loss which causes shrinkage or miniaturization of the hair follicles and elongation of the telogen phase of the hair growth cycle.
Finasteride helps in the elongation of the anagen phase of growth cycle resulting in hair re-growth. Finasteride for hair growth is available as ‘Propecia’ and only on prescription.
Low-Level Laser Therapy: Low-level laser therapy for hair growth also known as LLT has been adopted worldwide for the hair growth and as a productive complement to hair transplant surgery to improve results after hair transplant surgery.
LLT is a non-invasive procedure and involves the use of specialized combs and caps to nourish the hair follicles with the help of pulses, waves or heat energy.
This promotes the blood circulation and cellular respiration to the scalp resulting in hair growth.
PRP Therapy: PRP therapy for hair loss is Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy which is a hair gain therapy and is recommended by the dermatologists these days.
In PRP therapy, blood is drawn from your body and growth factors are extracted after the centrifugation, and other hair growth enhancers are added to it.
This again is infused back into your scalp which results in the faster hair growth. It is an entirely safe procedure as blood used is taken from your own body, there will be no chances of any side effects. Along with the hair growth, PRP therapy will also improve the texture of your hair.
Generally, the results after hair transplant surgery and time to appear results vary from patient to patient but the optimal results will start to appear after 7-8 months of operation. The transplanted hair will become coarser, thick and you can enjoy the fuller looking scalp and also you can style them as the way you want!